Is it even possible to eat without damaging the environment? I can't think of any agricultural method we could adopt to prevent environmental damage. Hmmm. Well I can't say that I think too much about the environment when I make food decisions. I eat out ALOT. And when I don't eat out, my diet basically consists of ramen noodles, quesadillas, turkey sandwiches, canned soups, and cereal. I know I'm not exactly the pillar of nutrition, but it's pretty much how I've eaten my entire life. I went from nursing to ramen noodles and Taco Bell. My mom worked all the time so every night was "yoyo" night aka "you're on your own". So instead of your standard meat and potatoes, I ate processed and processed. I have tried to eat healthy, but organic foods tend to be way more expensive, and I don't have the time to make myself a decent dinner. Unfortunately, quick and easy does not equal healthy, but it does equal more environmental damage. Everything comes in a package, and most of the time, it's a single serving package within a larger package. Most of the food I eat is packaged in plastic, which definitely isn't biodegradable. My diet basically consists on what is convenient at the time. Even worse, I drink ALOT of bottled water. Today in my marketing class (as I sat there with my 1 liter Dasani), my professor was talking about bottled water and how much environmental impact it causes. Apparently it takes 1.25 gallons of water to produce a plastic bottle that holds .25 gallons. All that water wasted for my convenience.
The food item on my list that probably had the most environmental impact was my three taco platter from baja fresh. It had one beef, chicken, and shrimp taco. Probably one of the most environmentally damaging meal ever. I don't even want to imagine how much of the cow was wasted so I could have a few cubes of beef. Let's skip the meat and get to the packaging. It was a plastic platter with a plastic cover in a plastic bag. And of course, none of them are recyclable, and the bag would have been reusable if the salsa hadn't leaked all over it. I have been trying to cut down on the fast food, for health and environmental reasons. But it's really hard when that is available. I mean, look at AU, your healthy choice is SubWay. Yuck.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment