Monday, October 27, 2008

"Slow Down Everyone, You're Moving Too Fast"

I have to be honest and say that it was rather hard to think of one most enchanting/magical experience I have had with the non-human world, since the reality is that I have had many in my lifetime already (practically everyday). Like Dave's post demonstrates, even relaxing at the beach on a random day can lead to amazing encounters with the non-human world, especially when it comes to the amazing marine life that exists such as dolphins, whales, jelly fish, sharks, etc. It was nice to hear Dave mention Blacks Beach in particular, because I spent a week there over this past Spring Break and couldn't help but hear my friends and others talk about the whale sightings, dolphins, etc. At Blacks, however, I only experienced great surfing weather, the occasional avoidance of ripcurls, and hippies enjoying huge bonfires at midnight on the day of a full moon. Don't ask, I guess its a Blacks Beach tradition? Dave, you can correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, my point is that whether it has been a reef shark sighting in the Great Barrier Reef seven years ago, offroadin it in an SUV through the Daintree rain forest with my family, or even spotting deer the other day on Mass. Ave. as I was walking home, nature is everywhere, and you cannot avoid it! Therefore, it is extremely important for us to take care of it, because it is not always a guarantee in life. At another level, the most/enchanting experience I have encountered is that no matter what, nature is always there to remind us that we are not the only ones inhabiting the Earth. From watching bald eagles, birds, loons, or even my Springer Spaniel Picasso run around near my lake back home, I continue to appreiate what nature offers us.

Its the peace and tranquility of nature, though not always the case (i.e. hurricanes, cyclones, etc.), that provides us with a place where we can relax, enjoy life, and share good times with friends and families. We just need to stop and recognize this world that exists around us, but this requires one to slow down and not move so fast when it comes to going about our daily routines. Nature and the non-human world can teach us a lot about what life is really about, and it can also offer us a way in which beauty and diversity can be illustrated throughout the world.

1 comment:

Laura said...

One of the shuttle drivers was talking about the deer this morning -- they almost got hit! I wonder where they come from...