Hi again! While I agree with Professor Maniates argument that we, as Americans, are only asked to make the easy choices as far as environmental degradation, I do not quite share his optimism that when presented with the truth, and when that truth involves drastic lifestyle changes that Americans will stand shoulder to shoulder and readily accept the challenge. After all, when was the last time we as Americans truly banded together and sacrificed to solve a problem, WWII? I may be pessimistic, but our consumer based culture is not geared for sacrifice. Granted we have generally not been asked to, all that was asked of us after 9/11 was to go shopping, but if we were asked, more than likely the response would be a mass withdrawal into our ever-spiraling consumption shells.
When confronted with the fundamental societal changes and upheavals that are truly required in order to put the environmental situation in the world right would require drastic elite leadership, the kind that drug the country kicking and screaming to the issues of racism and integration. Maniates is correct that we do need true governmental leadership on these issues. Leadership who will guide us and do what is right regarding the environment even when it goes against corporate interests and public outcry and involves the possibility that they will not be re-elected. If I ever see even a glimmer of such actions, then perhaps, I will not be so pessimistic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment