I'm kind of sitting on the fence on this question. I generally think that yes, technology will save us. Technology is continuously getting better, there are so many things that are in the works, that I'm sure we don't even know about. If we are supposed to have intelligent robots by 2030, imagine all of the other advancements we will have made by then. Maybe we will have a cure for everything and we will all just live forever and ever!!! Juuuust kidding. Could you imagine the Paris Hilton's and Britney Spears' of this planet living forever? I know, it's the kind of things nightmares are made of...Ok, back on track. I'm just saying that, with the way technology is progressing now, it's hard to think that there won't eventually be some kind of technological solution out there that will preserve us AND the planet.
BUT...I also think that while we are trying to create new technologies to save us and the environment, that we'll end up screwing ourselves over before any good comes from all of these tecno advancements. For example, a grocery store in Canada offered five cents for those customers who brought back their used bags. The store would then recylce those bags and create a sturdier bag that would last longer. Yay green livin'! Well, later the store found out that it caused more environmental damage to create the recycled bag than it did just to create your average grocery bag.
I think that technology has the potential to do a great many things offer us, but it's almost like "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" from 'Fantasia'. We are currently in the apprentice position. We run amok with our master's wand, making magical mops and buckets to our chores, creating all sorts of instruments that do our work for us and make our lives easier. Yet, there will come a time when we can not control our instruments that we created any longer, and then we're in BIG trouble. We will only be saved if we can learn to control our wand (technology) and learn to become the Sorcerer who can tame it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I like Paris and Britney...
Post a Comment