Friday, September 12, 2008

Whitney's two cents..

I think the biggest challenge I face when it comes to recycling is not that I don't want to recycle, it's that I don't know where to recycle. I have yet to find recycling receptacles around my apartment complex. All they have is a "trash room" where I open up a little metal door and throw my trash down the chute. A big reason why many Americans don't recycle is that there isn't an infrastructure already in place for us to recycle, and unfortunately, the government doesn't see recycling as a major problem or else it would have done something already. I know it seem lazy, but I don't have time to bring all of my trash to a place where I can recycle.

When I studied abroad in Berlin, each household had at least 4-5 trash cans. When you are sorting your garbage right from the get-go, it makes it easier to just dump it in a recycling bin all at once. Also, there is a nasty little fine if someone doesn't recycle. I don't understand why this system couldn't be implemented in the United States. There are many states where littering is punishable by a fine. So I guess it's not OK to trash your immediate neighborhood, but it's OK to export your garbage to other countries and trash the Earth? Why can't we stop sticking our toe in to test the waters, and just dive right in?

No comments: